Monday, January 19, 2015

I survived surgery in another country!

Disclaimer: I blame all typos on medication!

It's just after 20.00/8:00 PM and it has been a long day. Long, but successful. 

I arrived at the hospital around 6:45 this morning. By 7:30 they were taking me back for surgery. And just after 11:30, they wheeled me into recovery. Everything went really well, despite being a bit more complex than expected. I will have a bit longer recovery period, but I can manage! And thankfully, they only removed my uterus. (Yeah, that was probably more info than you needed, but get over it!)

For those who have asked, I managed about 95% of everything in Norwegian. The last couple of minutes before the anesthesia really kicked in, I explained that I was having a hard time putting sentences together, and the nurse assured me it was fine to switch to Englsh. The recovery nurse (who was amazing, by the way) and I communicated in Norwegian, but she asked the doctor's assistant to speak English when she came in afterwards, so I could be sure I understood all the details of the operation.

Now I'm just resting at the hospital. I had a couple of handsome visitors earlier (and one other handsome guy behind the camera) - I think it was important for them to see that I'm okay! Now they are home and I'm settling in for what I pray will be an uneventful night.

Thanks for so many emails and text messages that were sent to check on me. I hope to report tomorrow that I am home!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you get to go home after just a day? That sounds really great! Glad things went well and praying for a quick recovery. I go Thursday to meet with a surgeon here about the same surgery. I am hoping someone will know enough English if I need it. They said about a 5 day hospital stay. I am hoping it won't be that long. Praying for the boys as well (all 3) !

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad it went well! Praying for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete